Closing date: 30 November 2023
The Registered Nurse will render and promote cost effective, safe quality patient care in accordance with hospital standards and policies. The incumbent will further be responsible for assessing, planning, executing, and supervising the implementation of care to meet patient needs. The Registered Nurse is a role model in the delivery of evidence-based care. The registered Nurse will actively participate in Clinical Governance. The incumbent will be responsible for direct and/or indirect nursing care of a patient or group of patients. The incumbent will perform nursing duties in accordance with the South African Nursing Council (SANC), Department of Health (DOH) and National Core standards.
- Practices patient care according to his/her Scope of Practice and assumes total responsibility for these activities.
- Be active in preparing, controlling and replenishment of stock of the ward for the procedure list of the day.
- Supports patients on their arrival into the ward pre- and post-operatively.
- Monitors patients’ physiological parameters.
- Provides appropriate treatment until the patient has recovered from the effects of the anaesthesia and/or surgery.
- Assesses patients in order to ensure they have recovered and can be discharged.
- Evaluates the care given during each phase.
- Contributes to the holistic care of patients.
- Effective risk prevention and management.
- Effective communication with patients regarding their care.
- The promotion of health and wellbeing.
- Practices the principles of infection prevention and all standard precautions.
- Promotes and maintains good public relations with patients, relatives and visitors.
- Executes all procedures according to hospital standards.
- Refers all complaints from patients and doctors to the Facility Manager / shift leader.
- Carries out all departmental duties as assigned by the Facility Manager / shift leader.
- Provides and supervises the delivery of evidence-based nursing care.
- Ensures that all patients have an appropriate nursing care plan.
- Communicates with Healthcare Practitioners regarding any change in health status.
- Administer and manages medication in accordance with the Company’s policy.
- Ensures the continuity of patient care by providing a thorough hand over to the theatre and recovery room staff
- Checks the emergency trolley and defibrillator/AED.
- Checks emergency resuscitation drugs and record.
- Assesses the types of surgery to be performed and expected number of patients.
- Checks monitoring equipment and ensures that oxygen and suction is in good working order.
- Checks the emergency call system.
- Compliance with documentation policy.
- Completes all relevant documentation and reports all abnormalities to the person in charge of the facility.
- Ensures that all documentation is maintained accurately and timeously reflecting ward procedures and care.
- Leaves ward clean and tidy at the end of the day’s lists and prepares for the next day before going off duty.
- Listens to and reads post-op orders as handed over by recovery room nurse.
- Ensures proper and complete handover to the theatre/recovery staff.
- Signs drug checklist and drug registers.
- Signs checklist of emergency trolley.
- Checks medication fridge temperatures daily and record on checklist.
- Checks and records medication cupboard/storeroom temperatures daily.
- Ongoing audit of health records to ensure compliance.
- Ensures all stock is well controlled and managed, charged and credited appropriately.
- Maintains a therapeutic, clean and safe environment that is free from medico-legal hazards.
- Adheres to Advanced Health’s medical waste management principles and all other waste management principles.
- Maintains a safe working environment in accordance with the Machinery and Occupational Safety Act.
- Reports and acts upon potential/actual risks identified.
- Responsible for ensuring correct use, cleaning and storage of equipment.
- Reports equipment needing repair or replacement.
- Maintains professional conduct and standards at all times in accordance with the Group’s policies and procedures.
- Maintains patient privacy and confidentiality at all times.
- Grade 12 or equivalent NQF level 4 qualification.
- Diploma in General Nursing.
- Current registration with South African Nursing Council (SANC).
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a Registered Nurse.
- Post-operative and surgical experience essential.
- Experience within private hospital environment advantageous.
- Skilled in all basic nursing procedures as well as procedures specific to the operating ward environment.
- Looking for potential 2IC
- Proof of Covid-19 vaccination is required.
- Internal applications should be discussed with their direct line manager. Reference checks with direct line managers within the Advanced Health Group will be conducted for internal applicants.
- For internal and external application, various recruitment checks might be conducted, including but not limited to assessment tests, credit and security checks, qualification verification, etc. Through applying for the position, the applicant consents to being subject to background checks and assessments.
If you are interested in this position, send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org